We organize a wealth of activities to enhance the scientific capacities of local laboratories in developing countries.
Our initiatives are focused on three key areas: research, technology transfer and training programs, including e-learning. We also publish scientific communications, put out a GABRIEL community newsletter, and organize meetings of network members on a regular basis.
To foster capacity-building, we seek to:
- Help developing countries build capacities to ensure laboratory-based surveillance of infectious diseases;
- Build synergies and create opportunities so that network members can share research approaches and results;
- Combine local and global perspectives in the design our research programs;
- Encourage participating laboratories to determine the most relevant priorities for their region.
In Africa, the Americas , Asia and Europe, members of the network carry out surveillance and conduct research projects that target local infectious disease with a major impact on public health.
Acute respiratory infections
- Multicenter Pneumonia study in children under 5 (10 sites)
- Biomarkers for differentiation between pneumonia/malaria fever in children – Madagascar
- Active surveillance of severe influenza in Brazil
- Respiratory Infectious Disease surveillance in Laos
- Pneumococcal typing for vaccine introduction in Cambodia
- Etiology of severe pneumonia among Syrian refugees in Lebanon
- Development and evaluation of a RT PCR for S. pneumoniae typing
Foodborne & Waterborne diseases
- Evaluation of PCR for Typhoid Diagnostic in Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Malawi, Ghana
- Sequence-based rapid identification of enteric pathogens – antibiotic susceptibility study
- National TB survey in & Molecular typing of circulating TB in Lao PDR
- Inmates Transmission studies in Bangladesh
- Household transmission studies in Georgia
- TB MIRU-VNTR typing and implementation of Line Probe Assay for AMR surveillance
- Response to outbreaks: H5N1, MERS-CoV, H7N9
- Respiratory pathogen molecular test (19 viruses & 5 bacteria)
- S. pneumoniae and meningitis typing
- Bacterial molecular test for blood samples
- Molecular test for typhoid diagnostics
Training and Knowledge-Sharing
Workshops and training programs
- Molecular biology
- Quality assurance
Quality assurance & biosafety
To address essential challenges in clinical biology and research, we support:
- Audits, GCLP, SOP, EQA
- Accredited laboratories
- Labs moving toward accreditation
GABRIEL network charter
The network follows the principles set out in our charter.
Download Charter PDF
Key figures: ongoing projects
- 150+ scientists trained on new diagnostic tools
- 50+ workshops organized
- 600+ scientists trained in molecular biology, immunology, bioinformatics, epidemiology, biosafety/biosecurity, quality assurance, etc.
- 10 e-learning modules on epidemiology, clinical research, molecular biology, Zika diagnostics, biobanking
- 350 publications from 2012 to present